Monday, April 20, 2015

Facing Our Fear in Creativity

“You have the controls.”

With that the instructor pilot sitting in tandem behind me took over. He started yanking and banking.

Suddenly, I was no longer flying in a T-34C turboprop trainer. Instead I was back on the Great America roller coaster ride near our school – yelling at the top of my lungs with each thrilling, stomach churning roll –

Up, down, left, right!

T-34C Mentor (source: Wikipedia)

We did this for a good number of minutes before the instructor asked, “Okay over there?”

“Yes, sir!” I replied, barely able to contain the ear-to-ear grin.

“You don’t get sick for anything, do you?”

What was wrong with me? I’m sure the instructor was really doing his best to see how I handled the most extreme aerobatics he could throw at me.

This was my aerobatic solo check ride – meaning after I passed (if I passed) I was cleared to take a bird all by myself! So, the instructor wanted to make sure that if I got myself nauseous, disoriented or worse yet possibly passing out, I could still fly home safely.

But so far, his plan wasn’t working. The instructor tried again. “I have the controls.”

Again, we did loops and rolls, pulling G’s – nothing.

At this point I guess the instructor was satisfied that I could do almost any aerobatic maneuver and make it back to base.

For most of my life I’ve taken on things that other people consider “scary” – without much thought. Even when I was a kid, I had no fear of getting up on a stage of a night club and creating my own act.

Once I applied for and got a job as a delivery driver – without knowing how to drive stick. Fear – Trial by Fire or Fuel for Motivation

In college I took a swim test for joining the navy – without knowing how to swim! (that’s also in the blog post above)

So, when it comes to creativity, I don’t really let fear stop me. I know that what separates the good artists from the great is their willingness to face fear. Inspiring Ted Talks on Fear and Creativity

You can’t be creative by playing it safe. Our schools teach us to draw within the lines, but what we really need today is to learn which rules still matter and what rules it’s time to break.

Creativity-Literacy

Traditionally, entrepreneurs and their small businesses have been the backbone of this nation’s economy. Now more than ever the world needs their creativity  because the days of earn your degree, get a job and retire are long gone.

Creative entrepreneurs not only create opportunities by seeking problems to solve.  Their courage inspires us all to share our unique gifts – whether it’s a book to be written, a film to be made, a piece of art to create.

And our lives are better for this!

How do you let fear drive you or does it hold you back?



from WordPress http://ift.tt/1OzNMES

No comments:

Post a Comment